1. Stand Back, There’s a Hurricane Coming Through. Hurricane Irene is making a long, slow journey through the entire East Coast, after they’d just recovered from that earthquake. So, best of luck to our East Coasterly friends as they fight off both the Natural Disasters.
2. Apple’s New Boss? A More Different Version of the Old Boss. Tim Cook was announced as the new CEO of Apple this week, taking over the position from Steve Jobs who is retiring to deal with his health issues. So will it make a difference? Well, Cook isn’t as charismatic or visionary as Jobs, but he’s got better hair so probably not.
3. Gamestop In Trouble. Gamestop is feeling some heat this week after it was revealed that they were removing the OnLive code pages from copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution because it essentially grants the user a “free” virtual copy of the game, thereby destroying it’s used game market.
4. Everybody Cheats, Sometimes. Cheating in college sports is nothing new, but big programs getting sanctioned for said cheating? Big deal. Currently, Ohio State, USC, LSU, and Miami are all facing or serving big time punishments from the NCAA, and a few other large scale programs are staring down that same barrel. Look at it this way, those Boise State and TCU fans might finally get a national championship game!
5. X-Box Out in Japan. After nearly a decade of poor sales and support, it looks like Microsoft may finally be losing the Japanese market forever. Several major Japanese retailers announced this week that they will no longer carry the X-Box system or games, and may not carry any future non-Sony or Nintendo consoles.